- 10 garlic cloves, diced
- 1 tablespoon walnut oil (olive oil could be substituted)
- 12 ounces lean ground turkey
- 1 onion
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 3 cups cubed butternut squash
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, (to taste)
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced (6″)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 cup white beans, drained, (cannellini or northern) (11/2 cups = 1, 15 oz can)
- 1 1/2 cup black beans, drained, (1 1/2 cups = 1, 15 oz can)
- 6 cups stewed tomatoes
- Carefully crush garlic cloves using the back flat side of a large knife. Remove the peel and dice. Set aside.
- In a large stockpot, heat oil over medium heat. Add turkey, onion, carrot, squash, and salt. Cook, covered, until turkey is cooked and vegetables are fork tender (about 10 minutes).
- Add garlic and all remaining ingredients except tomatoes. Cook an additional 5minutes to soften zucchini.
- Add stewed tomato. Be sure that the vegetables are as tender as desired before adding tomatoes. The acidity of tomatoes naturally inhibits cooking of other vegetables once added.
- Remove from heat and enjoy!
Butternut squash can be difficult to cut and prepare. Take advantage pre-cut squash offered in the refrigerated section of the produce department or look for frozen cubed butternut squash.
To reduce sodium, you could use “No-Salt Added” canned beans.
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Diet: Gluten Free
- Serving Size: 2 cups
- Calories: 407
- Sugar: 14
- Sodium: 851
- Fat: 11
- Saturated Fat: 2
- Unsaturated Fat: 4
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 56
- Fiber: 15
- Protein: 29
- Cholesterol: 59
Keywords: nutrient-rich chili recipe, family favorite chili, balanced chili