- 1 bunch asparagus spears, cut into ~1″ pieces
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- pinch salt (to taste)
- pinch ground black pepper (to taste)
- 2 cucumbers, cut in half then sliced
- 1 small jicama, peeled and julienned (sliced like matchsticks)
- 3 cups baby kale, (Earthbound Farm’s pre-washed baby kale works great)
- In a medium pot with a mesh steamer, lightly steam asparagus until crisp-tender (about 3-4 minutes). Immediately remove from heat, uncover, and set aside.
- While asparagus is steaming, in a large mixing bowl, add vinegar, oil, salt, and pepper. Whisk gently to mix.
- Add steamed asparagus, cucumber, jicama, and kale. Toss to evenly coat.
- Additional fresh herbs like dill, cilantro, and basil, could also be added.
- Snow or sugar snap peas could be substituted when asparagus is out of season.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Dinner, Side Dish
- Diet: Vegan
- Calories: 79
- Sugar: 2g
- Sodium: 33mg
- Fat: 4g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 8g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 1g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: prebiotic rich fresh salad