CARE Recipe: BBQ Chicken Bites with Roasted Veggies
This recipe is to help you play with flavors that we often crave in favorite comfort foods – like BBQ – but in a more purposeful way. Satisfy that craving by dipping the bites into the sauce (allowing you to control the amount of sauce you use). These bites can also be made in less than ten minutes and are very family friendly. Individuals are often hesitant to prepare protein because they feel they lack the cooking skills needed to ensure it doesn’t end up dry or flavorless. These bites are fail-proof and can just as easily be made using turkey, lean steak, fish, or tofu.
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 2
For Roasted Veggies
- 2 cups Brussel sprouts, halved
- 2 cups cauliflower, chopped
- 1 medium sweet potato, cubed
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil, (avocado oil is used because it is a ‘high temp’ cooking oil)
- pinch salt
- 6 ounces raw chicken breast, cubed into 1 inch pieces
- 2 teaspoon avocado oil
- pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce, 1/4 cup per serving (lower sodium and sugar variety, <4–5 grams sugar per serving on label of bottle)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Put cut veggies in large mixing bowl and toss with oil and salt.
- Place veggies on single layer on large roasting sheet. Roast until tender, about 35-40 min.
- While veggies are roasting, heat a medium sized non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add oil, butter, salt, and chili powder. Gently shake pan to evenly coat bottom.
- Add cubed chicken. Stir and flip bites every couple of minutes until no pink remains (only takes ~8-10 minutes). Chicken should be cooked to 165 degrees. Be sure not to overcook or it will become dry.
- Enjoy cooked bites dipped in BBQ sauce with roasted veggies on the side.
- Reminder to watch how many portions each recipe makes.
- This one, as is, makes 2 servings. If family members will be enjoying this with you, simply double or triple the recipe as needed.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 40
- Category: dinner
- Calories: 362
- Sugar: 14g
- Sodium: 530mg
- Fat: 15g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Unsaturated Fat: 2g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 34g
- Fiber: 9g
- Protein: 26g
- Cholesterol: 62mg
Keywords: bbq chicken under 10 min
Teri, I so enjoyed reading through your healthy recipes! I’m off to make the roasted garbanzo beans right now for my snacking later today.
Keep up the good work!
Ann from Meditation Group (we Zoom at 6:30 every Wednesday still, if you ever want to join us…Geri and Phil send out a reminder each week but I could forward you the same link, if interested)
Hi Ann! It’s wonderful to hear from you. Excited to hear that you are enjoying looking through the recipes. And thank you for extending the invitation to meet with the group again. My heart has never left it. I will be sure to reach out when joining again is possible. Hope you and your family have been well! xoxo