- 8 garlic cloves, diced
- 3 cups cooked black beans, (2, 15 oz cans) not drained
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil (extra virgin olive oil could also be used)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
- 12 ounces lean turkey sausage, (humane certified or ranked recommended)
- 2 medium potato, (3″ dia.) (unpeeled) , cubed
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 celery stalks, sliced
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth, (organic recommended)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese, (organic recommended)
At the time of serving
- 2 avocados (1/4 diced per serving)
- 8 cups papaya, fresh (1 cup per serving)
- Carefully crush garlic cloves using the back flat side of a large knife. Remove the peel and dice. Set aside.
- Empty black beans, with liquid, into a food processor or blender. Blend until paste-like consistency. Set aside.
- In a medium stockpot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Sauté rosemary for 1 minute.
- Add sausage, potato, carrots, onion, and celery. Continue to sauté until onion is translucent (about 8 minutes).
- Add beans and chicken broth. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook until vegetables are tender (about 10-15 minutes).
- Add garlic and cheese. Continue to simmer, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes then remove from heat.
- Divide into 8 portions.
- Top individual portions with diced avocado at the time of serving and enjoy with fresh papaya on the side as a sweet finish and digestive.
Store unused portions in airtight containers in the refrigerator or freezer.
- To further limit sodium, you can use unsalted canned beans (another method of reducing sodium with canned beans is to rinse them prior to use – however, with this recipe you want to retain the liquid so buying unsalted is necessary).
- Nutrition analysis includes papaya and avocado added at the time of serving.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Dinner, Side Dish
- Diet: Gluten Free
- Calories: 481
- Sugar: 17g
- Sodium: 598mg
- Fat: 18g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Unsaturated Fat: 2g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 59g
- Fiber: 14g
- Protein: 24g
- Cholesterol: 29mg
Keywords: cheesy turkey stew