CARE Recipe: Flax Almond Fiber Mix
This nutrient and fiber-rich topper is incredible on yogurt or smoothies. A single serving of this mix provides: fiber (6 grams), vitamin E (6 grams), heart healthy mono-unsaturated fat (4 grams) and omega-3 fatty acids, calcium (48 mg), iron (3 mg), magnesium(123 mg), potassium (311 mg), selenium (18 mg), zinc (3 mg), and lutein/zeaxanthin for eye health!
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 12
All ingredients are dry (not cooked)
- 2/3 cup ground flax seed
- 1/2 cup almonds, chopped
- 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cup wheat germ
- 1/2 cup raw sunflower seed kernels, (unsalted)
- Mix all ingredients in a medium-sized bowl.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two weeks OR in the freezer for up to two months.
- Read more about the therapeutic properties of flax.
- I always have a container of this in the freezer. I keep a 1/3 cup measuring cup right in the container for quick portioning in the mornings.
- It is important to keep this mix in the fridge or freezer to avoid oxidation of the delicate oils in the flax seeds and nuts.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Diet: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1/3 cup
- Calories: 171
- Sodium: 32mg
- Fat: 9g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 5g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 16g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 7g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: fiber-rich yogurt topping