- 10 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 box brown rice lasagna noodle, (~12 noodles, tinkyada is a recommended brand)
- 1 tablespoon walnut oil, (olive oil could be substituted)
- 1 sweet onion, chopped, (vidalia or walla walla)
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 cups collard greens, (one full bunch, stems removed) , shredded
- 1 1/2 cups canned pumpkin, (1, 15oz can=1 1/2 cups)
- 15 ounces part skim ricotta cheese (1, 15oz container or 1 3/4 cups)
- 3/4 cup low fat milk
- 2 cups shredded parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Set aside a 9″x13″ baking dish (ungreased).
- Begin cooking noodles according to package directions. Remove noodles from heat but don’t drain until ready to use (to avoid them sticking together).
- While noodles are cooking, heat oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet. Add onion and pepper. Cook until onion is translucent (about 5-8 minutes).
- Add garlic and collard greens. Sauté mixture until greens turn bright green (about 3 minutes). Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl combine pumpkin and ricotta cheese. Set aside.
- At this time, rinse pasta in cold water, loosely separate them, and set aside.
- Pour milk onto bottom of baking dish.
- Place 4 lasagna noodles on top of milk. Add 1/2 of onion mixture and 1/2 of pumpkin cheese mixture.
- Repeat with 4 lasagna noodles, 1/2 of onion mixture and 1/2 of pumpkin cheese mixture. For top layer, add remaining 4 noodles and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake 20 minutes. Remove cover and bake an additional 20 minutes to lightly brown cheese topping.
- Allow to cool then divide into 8 portions.
- To remove collard green stems, simply place your fingers at the base of the leaf (near the stem) and gently pull down the length of the stem removing the greens.
- The sodium in the recipe comes from the dairy and cheese products. A pinch could be added to the onions and greens mixture if desired.
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: oven
- Diet: Vegetarian
- Calories: 413
- Sugar: 6g
- Sodium: 437mg
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated Fat: 6g
- Unsaturated Fat: 4g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 49g
- Fiber: 10g
- Protein: 25g
- Cholesterol: 32mg
Keywords: hearty pumpkin lasagna