CARE Recipe: Mollie’s West African Peanut Soup
A CARE member brought a copy of this recipe to me after her family just fell in love with it. It is remarkable how a staple like peanut butter, or other nut butter, can be blended into soup stock transforming it from “the usual” to absolutely unexpected. I added tofu for additional protein compared to the original recipe. This makes this vegan soup an unexpectedly rich source of calcium. Adapted and balanced from Robin Asbell’s recipe in the Star Tribune which she adapted from “The Moosewood Cookbook”.
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 6
- 6 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, cubed
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable stock (reserve 1 cup to add with peanut butter)
- 1/3 cup peanut butter (smooth or chunky)
- 1 tablespoon paprika (smoked paprika is wonderful, too) (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon cumin (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (to taste)
- 1 14.5 oz can unsalted diced tomatoes, plus juice
- 1 14.5 oz can kidney beans, drained
- 8 ounces firm tofu, cubed
- 12 cups spinach, chopped (2 cups raw per serving)
- Using the back of a large butcher knife, gently crush garlic cloves to peel. Then mince crushed cloves. (crushing activates therapeutic compounds in garlic; this compound increases by sitting at least 5 min and is susceptible to heat; this is why I always have you add garlic near the end of cooking)
- In a large soup pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until translucent, about 5 min.
- Add sweet potatoes and 3 cups of broth.
- Bring to a boil. Immediately reduce heat and allow to simmer until potato is tender, about 10 minutes.
- While potato is cooking, whisk remaining 1 cup of broth with peanut butter. Set aside.
- Once potato is tender, add garlic, broth/peanut butter mixture and all remaining ingredients – EXCEPT SPINACH – to the pot.
- Return to boil, then reduce heat and continue to simmer an additional 10 min.
At the time of serving
- Add fresh spinach to bottom of bowl and top with hot soup allowing the heat from the soup to wilt the spinach.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Diet: Vegan
- Calories: 333
- Sugar: 9g
- Sodium: 448mg
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Unsaturated Fat: 8g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 41g
- Fiber: 15g
- Protein: 22g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: peanut butter in soup base