CARE Recipe: Roasted Chicken and Apple Pomegranate Salad
This salad is as pretty as it is nutritious. Pomegranates have various bioactive compounds that have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. The arils are also a wonderful source of vitamin C and potassium needed to regulate blood pressure. The prebiotic and soluble fibers also help regulate the native strains of gut bacteria. This is a lot of health activity from something we just call “lunch”!
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 2
- 2 tablespoons olive oil mayonnaise (avocado or safflower-based can be used)
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- pinch salt (to taste)
- pinch ground black pepper (to taste)
- 6 ounces roasted chicken breast, cubed (humane rated or certified recommended)
- 2 tablespoon chopped walnuts (8 halves)
- 1 celery stalk, sliced
- 1 orange, peeled and slices cubed (2 clementines could be used)
- 1 small apple, cored and cubed (2″ dia)
- 1/2 cup pomegranate aris
- Prepare the dressing in a medium bowl. Whisk mayo, vinegar, honey, poppy seeds, salt, and pepper.
- Add all remaining ingredients. Gentle stir to evenly coat dressing.
- Divide into two portions and enjoy!
- When making this recipe in larger batches for make-ahead meals, you could consider leaving the salt out until you are ready to serve each individual serving. The salt pulls water out of the celery and begins to thin the dressing (without affecting taste).
- The juice from the citrus will also thin the dressing over night. Simply shake the salad in its container before opening to redistribute the dressing.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Category: Lunch
- Method: no cook
- Diet: Gluten Free
- Calories: 395
- Sugar: 28g
- Sodium: 266mg
- Fat: 15g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 37g
- Fiber: 6g
- Protein: 29g
- Cholesterol: 77mg
Keywords: nutrient-rich chicken salad