- 6 cups shishito pepper
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil (avocado or peanut oil may also be used)
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, (juice of 1 lemon)
- pinch salt, (to taste)
- Wash peppers with time to allow them to dry thoroughly before adding to hot oil.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan.
- Note: Before adding peppers to hot oil, take care to protect bare arms from any oil that could splatter as peppers “pop” during cooking.
- Once oil is shimmering (but not smoking) add shishito peppers. Allow them to blister in parts, stirring a few times so that they can get color on all sides. This takes anywhere from 5-7 minutes, and even less time with a hot wok.
- Remove from heat.
- Squeeze lemon directly over the peppers and sprinkle with salt. Stir again to coat all peppers.
- Transfer peppers to a plate. Eat whole peppers (except the stem); tastes best when eaten fresh and hot out of the pan.
Additional serving notes from Teri: These pair wonderfully with extra-lean grilled proteins and grilled fruits (like pineapple and peaches). These pairings allow the peppers to use the full amount of oil which gives them the “pub” part and feels indulgent though is still balanced. I often enjoy this recipe when I’m craving “fried” foods, it always satisfies it.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 7 minutes
- Category: Dinner, Side Dish
- Diet: Vegan
- Calories: 203
- Sodium: 76mg
- Fat: 14g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 16g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 2g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: how to cook shishito peppers