- 2 tablespoon avocado oil, (or other high heat oil like canola, ghee, or coconut)
- 2 pounds beef chuck roast (humane certified, grass-fed recommended)
- 1 cup dry brown rice (uncooked)
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 parsnips, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, unpeeled, cubed
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- OPTIONAL SEARING: In a large skillet, heat oil over medium high heat. Have mesh splash guard (or large pot lid) ready. Add roast to skillet and lightly brown on both sides (about 3-5 minutes on each side; do not burn or char). Cover with guard to avoid splattering.
- While roast is searing, place rice and root veggies on the bottom of slower cooker.
- Add roast and remaining ingredients.
- Cover and cook either on high setting for 6 hours or low setting for 8 hours.
- Portion veggies and rice into 4 meals and enjoy with 3 oz of roast per serving.
- NOTE: The nutrition analysis for this recipe was calculated to yield 9 servings of protein. There is enough rice and veggies to yield 4 complete meals (with 5 remaining leftover protein servings). Therefore, the carbohydrate amount will be double the amount stated when eating the veggies and rice and there will be no carbohydrates in the leftover portions of roast.
- When the leftover portions of roast are cooled, the saturated fat will harden and can be removed to decrease the fat content.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 6-8 hours
- Category: Dinner
- Method: slow cooker
- Diet: Gluten Free
- Serving Size: 3 oz
- Calories: 392
- Sugar: 3g
- Sodium: 333mg
- Fat: 18g
- Saturated Fat: 6g
- Unsaturated Fat: 10g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 28g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 27g
- Cholesterol: 83mg
Keywords: how to portion a roast to keep within guidelines for red meat intake