CARE Snack: Dark Hot Chocolate
Although it’s true that dark chocolate contains beneficial bioactive compounds, we like this evening snack for its theanine (in the chocolate) to help induce relaxation– perfect for those cold winter nights. This hot chocolate is balanced and very subtly sweet compared to commercial preparations – but that’s why we love it. Sip it knowing you are supporting your health through balance and before you know it you will actually prefer its simplicity.
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 1
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened dark cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar, (1 tsp sweetener of choice can be used)
- 1 cup low fat milk (plant-based milk could be substituted)
- Pour milk into a small pan. Add cocoa powder and sweetener. Whisk briskly to mix.
- Continue to whisk over medium-low heat until lightly steaming and sugar is completely dissolved. (Be sure to continuously whisk and don’t leave unattended to avoid boiling or scalding).
- And then… enjoy.
- Cocoa powder is made when the cocoa butter is extracted from the cocoa beans. The cocoa butter is what contributes the fat to chocolate; therefore, when it is removed from the powder, the powder only contains trace amounts of fat and can be considered ‘free’ when enjoying in 1 tbsp portions.
- Adding just the lightest pinch of salt can also bring out the sweeter notes in the milk sugars and sweetener.
- Chocolate does contain trace amounts of caffeine. 1 tbsp of dark cocoa powder has an estimated 10 mg of caffeine (similar to a cup of decaf coffee). If you are highly sensitive to caffeine, enjoy this as a relaxing afternoon snack.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Snack
- Diet: Gluten Free
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 139
- Sugar: 16g
- Sodium: 107mg
- Fat: 2g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 19g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 9g
- Cholesterol: 12mg
Keywords: balanced hot chocolate