- 8 large eggs
- 1 cup of low fat milk
- pinch ground black pepper (to taste)
- 3 cup white beans, (2, 15.5 oz cans, any bean can be used) drained
- 2 cups shredded low fat cheddar cheese (any low fat/reduced fat cheese can be used)
Enjoyed on the Side at the Time of Serving
- 8 pieces sprouted grain bread, toasted (1 piece toast per serving)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons butter (1 teaspoon enjoyed per piece of toast)
- 8 small pears, (2″ dia) (1 per serving, any serving of fruit could be used)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly grease 9Ã—13 inch baking pan (I like to use an avocado or coconut spray oil).
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, milk and pepper. Stir in beans and cheese. Immediately transfer to baking dish.
- Cover and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove cover and continue to bake for 10 minutes, until golden brown (watch to prevent over browning).
- Enjoy with toast and fruit on the side.
- Can be stored for up to 4 days in refrigerator (be sure fridge is set cold enough for proper food storage; between 34-38 degrees). Unused portions can also be frozen.
- Use ‘salt-free’ canned beans to further reduce sodium if desired.
- This is another go-to breakfast recipe of mine – my take on a classic, yet very easy and fast to make egg bake. I have come to depend on its versatility. Many weeks when I’m rushed on weekends, I’ll quickly get this bake in the oven on Sunday and then simply warmup on rushed mornings.
- On other weeks, when time permits, I’ll modify this basic recipe to add pre-cooked leafy & tender veggies. It’s such an easy recipe to substitute depending on what is in your cupboards. Even just switching the type of bean and cheese used will always keep it interesting.
- For those that like eggs for dinner as I do, this is a welcome dish to have in the fridge after a long day or even on weekends with more unpredictable schedules.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: oven
- Diet: Vegetarian
- Calories: 421
- Sugar: 17g
- Sodium: 575mg
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Unsaturated Fat: 1g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 55g
- Fiber: 10g
- Protein: 27g
- Cholesterol: 203mg
Keywords: simple egg bake, balanced egg bake