CARE Recipe: White Bean Sauce (“Faux Alfredo”: Great with Tender Veggies!)
Depending on the brand, 1/2 cup of store-bought full-fat alfredo sauce can contain up to 40 grams of fat and 1800mg of sodium! With a little creativity, though, we can find alternatives for decadent choices like alfredo sauce that are better for us and leave us feeling energized, not laden. White bean sauce is tasty, a source of protein and fiber, and just as worthy of a simple weeknight dinner. Try it with fettuccine and sweet peas, broccoli, and zucchini, or simply spooned over a plate of steamed vegetables (frozen work great).
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4
- 1 1/2 cup white beans, (1.5 oz can=1 1/2 cups) (navy, cannellini, northern can also be used)
- 1/2 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil, (or other high-heat oil like canola or coconut)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 onion, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- pinch ground black pepper
- Drain and rinse beans well.
- Add beans to a blender or food processor with ¼ cup vegetable broth.
- Blend and add more broth as needed until the puree is loose and smooth.
- Heat a sauté pan over medium-low heat and add enough oil just to coat the bottom. Add onions and sprinkle with salt. Cook for three minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Add white bean puree; simmer on very low heat, taste, and adjust with a pinch more salt and fresh black pepper.
Notes from Teri:
- Jacqui calls this ‘faux alfredo’ and I like to call it ‘faux roux’. I love using a simple white roux as a cream base for veggies and soups. I have not found one place that this ‘faux roux’ can’t be used instead with a fraction of the fat and double the protein and fiber of cream-based sauces.
- I have also found that ANY type of canned beans works really well for this. To make it even faster, I’ll just put the beans, broth, one raw garlic clove, salt, and pepper in the blender; then add sauce to whatever dish our soup I’m making.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Dinner, Side Dish
- Diet: Vegan
- Calories: 129
- Sugar: 0g
- Sodium: 287mg
- Fat: 3g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 18g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 6g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: vegan roux, vegan alfredo sauce